Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST Software Management exits after package installation
  • From: Graham P Davis <hacker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 18:34:20 +0000
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 16:49:36 +0100
Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mandag den 4. november 2013 17:40:29 skrev Basil Chupin:
On 04/11/13 16:05, Rajko wrote:
I had a problem with YaST Software Management that was closing
after package(s) installation.
Some anal-retentive, or -retentives, decided that "close" it should
be and s/he/it will not move from this idiotic position.

You want something intelligent then do the editing yourself and
change the setting to, "summary" because the anal-retentive(s) will
not.

Yes, it's a very bad default.

The historical reason was that previously some pop-up would appear
and steal focus when YaST was done installing stuff, and some people
complained about that, so YaST was made to close when done.

Nowadays with the summary or restart options, the original "problem"
with the pop-up no longer exists, but we're still stuck with the bad
default.

Several years ago, YaST Software Management used to have an option in
the menu that you could change so that it would stay open once the
installation had completed; I don't recall whether 'summary' was also
an option. I'm not against the default action but wish the option to
change the default was returned to the menu; I don't understand why it
was removed.

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.1-RC2 (64-bit); KDE 4.11.2; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;