Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 23:09:14 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2013-11-02 at 09:03 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 12:17:26AM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

That's only 4K/s. Is this normal?

Let me guess: journal on a normal (non-ssd) disk?

Obviously it is not designed for such outdated hardware ;-)
The file fragmentation of the journal files and the performance of the
"database" is absolutely totally horrible.
It gets slightly better once you dedicate a fast SSD to the journal ;)

Bad programming, IMHO.

Really? Patches are always gladly accepted upstream for this, and
numerous people have looked at it to try to firstly determine what
exactly the problem is, and no one has been able to figure that out.
Including the fact that most of us who have looked at it, can't even
duplicate the issue at all (myself included.)

So, don't just wave it all away like this, it's a non-trivial problem
for a small number of systems that people are not ignoring...

Maybe you need expert database engine programmers in the team. I'm not.

If programmers are used to excellent and modern hardware, you can not make code that works well with the kind of hardware normal people use. This happened to me, as a programmer... it is not idle talk.

Remember that one of the sale points of Linux was that it brings new life to older hardware that no longer works well with the last Windows version. If you insist that openSUSE must run on SSD media, you are breaking contact with the masses of Linux users out there.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.