Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
On Saturday 02 November 2013, Greg KH wrote:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 07:01:03PM +0100, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Saturday 02 November 2013, Greg KH wrote:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 12:17:26AM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2013-11-01 23:45, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 01.11.2013 12:26, schrieb Ruediger Meier:
is running since 8 hours now and it has printed only 120MB
text yet. That's only 4K/s. Is this normal?

Let me guess: journal on a normal (non-ssd) disk?

Obviously it is not designed for such outdated hardware ;-)
The file fragmentation of the journal files and the
performance of the "database" is absolutely totally horrible.
It gets slightly better once you dedicate a fast SSD to the
journal ;)

Bad programming, IMHO.

Really? Patches are always gladly accepted upstream for this,
and numerous people have looked at it to try to firstly determine
what exactly the problem is, and no one has been able to figure
that out. Including the fact that most of us who have looked at
it, can't even duplicate the issue at all (myself included.)

So, don't just wave it all away like this, it's a non-trivial
problem for a small number of systems that people are not
ignoring...

Yes probably the design is more bad than the actual implementation.

Anyway, it was very easily predictable that we would get problems
like this. All I complain about is that we (the users/admins) get
such young, untested, unstable, broken stuff per default.

Yes, we all write crappy software and have no idea what we are doing
and should listen to everyone who tells us to stop because they are
the ones who know best.

Give me a break.

There is already a distribution (Fedora) which is testing all this
alpha software. They have never cared about compatibility or the
upgrade scenario - that's ok because you know that. Why openSUSE
does not just wait until at least one distribution exists where all
this funny freedesktop stuff works as it's supposed too work?

It works just fine for me here, on three other distros who have been
shipping it for a long time (Fedora and Arch and Gentoo).

Does Gentoo and Arch really force you to switch to systemd yet?

If you
really hate this type of thing, and don't want progress, there's
always Slackware. As it is, openSUSE is already playing catch-up
with those distros, how far behind do you want to see us be?

I don't say something against shipping "progress" but against changing
well tested and stable defaults far to early.

For example there was absolutely no need that upgrading from to 12.1 or
12.2 replaced sysvinit by systemd. There would have been enough
pro-active testers. No need to bother everybody.

cu,
Rudi