Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 07:01:03PM +0100, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Saturday 02 November 2013, Greg KH wrote:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 12:17:26AM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2013-11-01 23:45, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 01.11.2013 12:26, schrieb Ruediger Meier:
is running since 8 hours now and it has printed only 120MB text
yet. That's only 4K/s. Is this normal?

Let me guess: journal on a normal (non-ssd) disk?

Obviously it is not designed for such outdated hardware ;-)
The file fragmentation of the journal files and the performance
of the "database" is absolutely totally horrible.
It gets slightly better once you dedicate a fast SSD to the
journal ;)

Bad programming, IMHO.

Really? Patches are always gladly accepted upstream for this, and
numerous people have looked at it to try to firstly determine what
exactly the problem is, and no one has been able to figure that out.
Including the fact that most of us who have looked at it, can't even
duplicate the issue at all (myself included.)

So, don't just wave it all away like this, it's a non-trivial problem
for a small number of systems that people are not ignoring...

Yes probably the design is more bad than the actual implementation.

Anyway, it was very easily predictable that we would get problems like
this. All I complain about is that we (the users/admins) get such
young, untested, unstable, broken stuff per default.

Yes, we all write crappy software and have no idea what we are doing and
should listen to everyone who tells us to stop because they are the ones
who know best.

Give me a break.

There is already a distribution (Fedora) which is testing all this alpha
software. They have never cared about compatibility or the upgrade
scenario - that's ok because you know that. Why openSUSE does not just
wait until at least one distribution exists where all this funny
freedesktop stuff works as it's supposed too work?

It works just fine for me here, on three other distros who have been
shipping it for a long time (Fedora and Arch and Gentoo). If you really
hate this type of thing, and don't want progress, there's always
Slackware. As it is, openSUSE is already playing catch-up with those
distros, how far behind do you want to see us be?

greg k-h