Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
On Saturday 02 November 2013, Greg KH wrote:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 12:17:26AM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2013-11-01 23:45, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 01.11.2013 12:26, schrieb Ruediger Meier:
is running since 8 hours now and it has printed only 120MB text
yet. That's only 4K/s. Is this normal?

Let me guess: journal on a normal (non-ssd) disk?

Obviously it is not designed for such outdated hardware ;-)
The file fragmentation of the journal files and the performance
of the "database" is absolutely totally horrible.
It gets slightly better once you dedicate a fast SSD to the
journal ;)

Bad programming, IMHO.

Really? Patches are always gladly accepted upstream for this, and
numerous people have looked at it to try to firstly determine what
exactly the problem is, and no one has been able to figure that out.
Including the fact that most of us who have looked at it, can't even
duplicate the issue at all (myself included.)

So, don't just wave it all away like this, it's a non-trivial problem
for a small number of systems that people are not ignoring...

Yes probably the design is more bad than the actual implementation.

Anyway, it was very easily predictable that we would get problems like
this. All I complain about is that we (the users/admins) get such
young, untested, unstable, broken stuff per default.

There is already a distribution (Fedora) which is testing all this alpha
software. They have never cared about compatibility or the upgrade
scenario - that's ok because you know that. Why openSUSE does not just
wait until at least one distribution exists where all this funny
freedesktop stuff works as it's supposed too work?

cu,
Rudi