[opensuse-factory] Re: journalctl very slow
On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 23:45, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@...> wrote:

Am 01.11.2013 12:26, schrieb Ruediger Meier:
Hi,

I'am trying to watch the logs but it's a bit too slow.

journalctl

is running since 8 hours now and it has printed only 120MB text yet.
That's only 4K/s. Is this normal?

Let me guess: journal on a normal (non-ssd) disk?

Obviously it is not designed for such outdated hardware ;-)
The file fragmentation of the journal files and the performance of the
"database" is absolutely totally horrible.
It gets slightly better once you dedicate a fast SSD to the journal ;)

Shall we hope you've used the [sarcasm] tag for your reply?

TBH, I've been looking at the journald code wrt the on disk ops,
and, my impression was: Somebody took code for a strict In-RAM
data structure and used that for the On-Disk ops.

IMHO a no-go for any 'real' core OS developer, but, well, look
at who's in charge of that project upstream....

For me, the journald storage code is a thing to be
replaced, at whole.

Linus would never allow that level of code quality
anywhere in the Kernel tree.

No other syslog implementation is done that bad.

And, no, I'm no C / C++ programmer, I'll keep my hand off that.

- Yamaban.