Re: [opensuse-factory] journalctl very slow
On Friday 01 November 2013, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 01/11/13 08:26, Ruediger Meier escribió:
Hi,

I'am trying to watch the logs but it's a bit too slow.

Well Known issue, no solution for now. and if I were you I won't be
holding my breath for one to be provided anytime soon. (last
discussed in early Oct @systemd-devel thread title Fwd: Journalctl
performance)

How could this journald logging daemon got released and (used in
openSUSE per default) if it's not possible to view the logs at all?

This happens almost exclusively when the journal is stored in
rotating media.

If this bothers you, just set Storage=volatile in in
/etc/systemd/journal.conf and if you need to retain the
logs for more than the current boot, install rsyslog.

I have rsyslog installed but I've been told to watch the journal to
debug initrd problems. But this is actually not possible.

BTW my production machines (still all 11.4) have average uptimes between
200 and 400 days. So I expect that the "current boot logs" would be as
big as this one on my test machine.
The journal disk-usage is currently 1.3G, which is far to much. The same
as compressed text files would be probably about 20M (factor 60!).

It really does not make sense that syslog was removed per default and
replaced by such a monster which is using 60 times more space and we
are not even able to view that log unless we want to wait a whole week
while the machine is unusable on 100% load.

cu,
Rudi