Re: [opensuse-factory] 13.1 - why network eth0 is named instead ens33?
James Knott wrote:
Is it my imagination, or is it the purpose of all these changes to make
administration more difficult? I have also been running Linux for
several years and never had a problem with NIC ID, at least with up to 3
NICs. In my experience, the ID depends on the slot the NIC is plugged
into. According to the above, changing a NIC will require editing a
file, to ensure the same ID is used.

Further on this. The computer with 3 NICs is my firewall. It has a
built in NIC and I added 2 more NICs. As originally configured with the
3 NICs., the plug in NICs were eth 0 & 1 and the built in one eth2. I
later removed eth1, because it was failing. But doing that did not
cause the other NIC IDs to change. I now have eth0 and eth2, with no
eth1 in the computer at all.