Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: BtrFS as default fs?
Hello all,

On 2013-09-04 T 19:48 -0400 Jeff Mahoney wrote:
On 9/4/13 2:22 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 12:04:58 -0400, Jeff Mahoney
wrote:

I know people don't really want to compare SLES with
openSUSE, but here's a case in which the story
matters. We've been offering official support for
btrfs since SLE11 SP2. SP3 was released a few months
ago. Many people thought we were insane to do so
because OMG BTRFS IS STILL EXPERIMENTAL, but we've
crafted a file system implementation that *is*
supportable. Between limiting the feature set for
which we offer support and our kernel teams
aggressively identifying and backporting fixes that
may not have been pulled into the mainline kernel yet
(more a factor of the maintainers being busy than the
patches not being fully baked), we've created a
pretty solid file system implementation.

Given that the work for btrfs in SLE and openSUSE is
being handled largely by the same people, I think it
makes sense to make the comparison.

SLE doesn't yet default to btrfs, though, does it?

SLE11 defaults to ext3 and we don't change the default
in a service pack. I can't comment on what the default
in SLE12 will be. I'll refer questions about that to our
product manager for SLES, Matthias Eckermann. It should
be apparent that SUSE is invested in the success of
btrfs, though.

Indeed, the decision to focus on btrfs has been made more
than three years ago. The primary driver for this was the
Copy on Write functionality, and the benefits you can get
out of this for the operating system: snapshots for package
installation and administrative changes.

Many years ago I visited a datacenter in the financial
sector in Germany, and they had implemented a mechanism to
prevent "surprises" due to operating system updates.
Basically they had multiple LVM-LVs for "/" and "/boot"
and rsync-ed the currently active volumes before updating
the kernel and other critical parts, thus they always had
a "well known state".

I know that many people and companies have implemented
this the one or the other way.

With btrfs, snapshots, zypper integration, and the ability
to boot off btrfs snapshots (not yet, but soon, hopefully),
this shall be available for everybody, in a consistent and
integrated way -- and without extra effort on the user's
side.

Accordingly, the plan is indeed to make btrfs the default
filesystem for the operating system in SUSE Linux
Enterprise 12.

<advertisement>
A discussion about this will also be part of my
presentation at this year's LinuxCon/US, see:
http://linuxconcloudopenna2013.sched.org/event/0e707c607eb3fd1cb06664517724e85e
</advertisement>

so long -
MgE, proudly using btrfs as root and home.

--
Matthias G. Eckermann Senior Product Manager SUSE® Linux Enterprise
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH Maxfeldstraße 5 90409 Nürnberg Germany