Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: BtrFS as default fs?
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 22:23:19 -0300
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Areas that still need work:
- Error handling
- Not in the handling failure cases sense, but in the fsfuzzer sense.

- btrfsck
- As I mentioned, we need broken file systems to fix in order to
improve the tool.

- General performance
- For a root file system with general user activity, it performs
reasonably well. I've asked one of my team to come up with solid
performance numbers so that we can 1) demonstrate where the file
system is performing relative to the usual suspects, and 2) identify
where we need to focus our efforts.
- Historically, fsync() was a problem spot but that's been mitigated
with the introduction of a "tree log" that is similar to a journal
but is really just used to accelerate fsync.

Some general performance numbers would be good to see - as well as
performance on large files/small files.

I can probably make room for a BtrFS partition to run my toy (100G)
database in, and test performance.

But I'll need the newest kernel for this, and I never run the newest
kernel on my work machine (upgrading regularly being low priority).

Since Stephan pretty much decreed 13.1 won't use it as default, I
guess I'll have 13.1's whole lifetime to do the upgrading and testing.
I'll make sure to test with fsync=on (postgres here).