Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: BtrFS as default fs?
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/3/13 7:00 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:55:49 -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:

Also, consider the target audience of default filesystems.

These aren't for the power users, which will consciously pick the
filesystem they like best. Default filesystems are for the granny and
the newbie, those that cannot and will not fix low-level filesystem
issues.

I haven't used BtrFS recently, but unless it's granny-proof, I'd think
twice before making it default.

+1. Changing the default to btrfs is going to increase the number of
people having problems posting in the forums. It still seems to be
considered "unstable" or "experimental", and if so, shouldn't be selected
as the default.

Well that's the main thrust behind the "allow unsupported" module
option. We have the feature set that we've evaluated to be mature and
that's what we allow by default.

When I cast a wide net across forums and mailing lists last month asking
for user experiences, I got a lot of uninformed opinion and very little
concrete data. Most of the negative data was in the area of snapper
being too aggressive in creating snapshots and not aggressive enough in
cleaning them up. There was some negative opinion WRT the file system
itself, but most of it was in the realm of "I heard..." or "I don't
trust it" based on too much hearsay and too little experience. It's that
kind of rumor-response that is unhelpful in making decisions or
improving the pain points with the file system. There were a few reports
of people having troubles with the file system itself, but they tended
to be with compression or RAID enabled -- the features that we don't
entirely trust yet and want to disable so the casual user doesn't become
an unwitting beta tester.

Well, while I have no concrete data, I do have an idea of how
granny-type users treat their systems.

One of the most important things to test in BtrFS before considering
it default-able, is its crash resilience. If it can withstand power
outages (which users will consciously induce and abuse, like my dad,
who thought the quickest way to turn off his computer was holding the
power button for 5 seconds until I screamed at him), then that's
certainly a good sign.

If it can't, not.

I'm sure there's ways to test this with OpenQA too - just launch a VM,
make it work intensively on disk, stop it forcefully without giving it
a chance to whatever, and re-launch. See what happens.

Is this doable with OpenQA?