Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: BtrFS as default fs?
On 9/3/13 7:00 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:55:49 -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:

Also, consider the target audience of default filesystems.

These aren't for the power users, which will consciously pick the
filesystem they like best. Default filesystems are for the granny and
the newbie, those that cannot and will not fix low-level filesystem
issues.

I haven't used BtrFS recently, but unless it's granny-proof, I'd think
twice before making it default.

+1. Changing the default to btrfs is going to increase the number of
people having problems posting in the forums. It still seems to be
considered "unstable" or "experimental", and if so, shouldn't be selected
as the default.

Well that's the main thrust behind the "allow unsupported" module
option. We have the feature set that we've evaluated to be mature and
that's what we allow by default.

When I cast a wide net across forums and mailing lists last month asking
for user experiences, I got a lot of uninformed opinion and very little
concrete data. Most of the negative data was in the area of snapper
being too aggressive in creating snapshots and not aggressive enough in
cleaning them up. There was some negative opinion WRT the file system
itself, but most of it was in the realm of "I heard..." or "I don't
trust it" based on too much hearsay and too little experience. It's that
kind of rumor-response that is unhelpful in making decisions or
improving the pain points with the file system. There were a few reports
of people having troubles with the file system itself, but they tended
to be with compression or RAID enabled -- the features that we don't
entirely trust yet and want to disable so the casual user doesn't become
an unwitting beta tester.

So whether it's "considered" unstable or experimental largely depends on
what features are being tested and who's doing the testing. A lot of
times it involves armchair punditry and no testing at all.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney
SUSE Labs