Re: [opensuse-factory] BtrFS as default fs?
  • From: Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:41:30 -0500
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/3/13 2:54 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

there is no tool to repair a broken filesystem.

There is a btrfsck tool. Have you encountered a file system it was
unable to repair? Bugzilla IDs? The tool can only improve with the
reporting of different types of corruption. Even e2fsck still receives
regular updates.

I have encountered at least *three* filesystems (on three different
machines) that btrfsck was unable to repair or made worse. The btrfs
mailing list states very explicitly that if you aren't running the
latest btrfsck you risk problems. I filed a number of bugs (in the
openSUSE bugzilla and in the kernel bugzilla), none of which have been
fixed. Last time I checked there were _pages_ of unfixed btrfs bug
reports, and at least as of 3.10 I have a filesystem that is still
unrepairable. The btrfs folks have been unable to repair it.

Making btrfs the default might work well (in so far as lots and lots
of people will find what issues remain) but I can't imagine that it's
even remotely close to ext4 in terms of general stability - yet.

I must also chime in to suggest that the 'allow_unsupported' approach
is rather flawed. At the very most, I might suggest that using a
given 'immature' feature should result in a warning (as has been
suggested here). I would not ever condone outright function removal,
especially since the stock kernel has no such limitations.

Please do not take my comments here to mean that I don't immensely
appreciate the work done by you and many others, but I believe it is
not unreasonable to say that we probably disagree as to whether or not
btrfs is stable enough to be made the default filesystem.

--
Jon