[opensuse-factory] Re: Re: Re: BtrFS as default fs?
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 20:22, Roman Bysh <rbtc1@...> wrote:

On 09/03/2013 12:26 PM, Yamaban wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:32, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@...> wrote:
[snip]
So, I'd like to propose that we use btrfs as the default file system
for the 13.1 release before we release the first beta.

To spare us all a rush of headaches, a couple of points to add:

- Be aware that not every bootloader does supports btrfs for /boot
(lilo, syslinux, ...)

- For the Yast installer: Select bootloader before partitioning /
root-fs selection, be prepared to 'propose' a extra /boot partition
for non-btrfs aware bootloaders.

Make sure that these points land in the printed manual, and the wiki.

- Yamaban.

Doesn't btrfs support booting the system without a /boot partition?

It's a matter of the bootloader.

If the bootloader supports btrfs for /boot, e.g grub2, gummiboot, ...
no extra partition for /boot needed, all other bootloader will
NEED a /boot partiton that is NOT btrfs, but e.g. ext[234]-fs.

For at least another 7-12 years boot via BIOS will matter.
And not all BIOS capable bootloader support btrfs for /boot.

Personally, I have a well founded HATE for grub and grub2,
and I'm not alone in that.

- Yamaban.