Re: [opensuse-factory] What is the recommended procedure for suspending ?
Am 09.06.2013 21:26, schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
El 09/06/13 07:51, Stefan Seyfried escribió:
Am 09.06.2013 13:04, schrieb Malte Gell:

If systemd handles the power stuff, I wonder why openSUSE 12.3 still
comes with suspend and pm-utils packages...

because the built-in support in the kernel is very limited. So for
anything advanced (compression, encryption, multithreaded hibernate) you
need suspend.

People telling to remove the suspend package obviously don't really use
hibernation in everyday work. They are just blindly repeating the
ridiculous claims of the systemd-crowd.

There is nothing ridiculous about for the simple reason that nobody has
ever claimed that systemd-suspend supports anything other than what the
in the kernel suspend/hibernate provides and will not probably support
anything else.

Cristian, you can stop the preaching now - it gets on everyone's nerve.
systemd upstream might believe that suspend works on a pure kernel
level, but it's pretty much common sense that that's not the case and
systemd will need patches to support hacks by the admin of the machine.

If that happens through the currently existant packages or something new
is up to discussion, but IMO not *if* we need it.

Greetings, Stephan