Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Infinality Fonts
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 00:19:15 +0800
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Werner LEMBERG <wl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Normally, CJK characters don't contain TrueType hints at all since
this would approximately double the file size. Instead, bitmap
strokes are provided for the most common characters at the most common
ppem sizes. In other words, improvements in rasterizing CJK fonts is
usually coming from the patches to the auto-hinter.

Hi, Werner

Thanks for the detailed tech explanation! really learned a lot!

CJK fonts used for screen display do contain TrueType hints, at least
for common used ones (both proprietary and open source). So their
sizes are...nearly 20 MB for a single font.

eg: Microsoft YaHei/JhengHei, Apple Hiragino sans GB, STheiti and open
source wqy-micro-hei and wqy-zen-hei.

Old and bitmap fonts are nearly not usable for CJK fonts. Can you
imagine the looking a character like 斡 displayed in 10px.......some
strokes will even disappear...so a tiny adjustment is a must (hinting)
and the hinting algorithms are important too (at least freetype's
current one can't fulfill the needs), or it'll be even worse than
without hinting.

Anyway we discussed tech details of Freetype and Infinality in this
thread because we want to know if infinality is acceptable for OBS.

So can you please answer this question?

Thanks

Marguerite