Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Infinality Fonts
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 07:44:32 +0800
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Robert Munteanu
<robert.munteanu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the pointer, I somehow assumed that the SourceSans fonts
supported this.

Only truetype and cleartype fonts support hinting and kerning...

.ttf/.otf suffix doesn't mean it's a true truetype font....

If you use the wrong font, and the hinting technology will make
sans-serif look like serif since it cuts and blurs the font edges.

Out of curiosity, is there a simple test to see if a font supports sub-pixel
hinting?

You can check it out with fontforge autohint command. but usually
google search is much faster.

by the way you can use fc-match -s sans-serif to see which font is
used as sans-serif in your system. if there're missing characters in
the first font, it will use the second font for the missing
characters. We Chinese font tweakers use this technology to display
english with a font and Chinese with another in fonts.conf.

sometimes if you mess up your .fonts.conf. You may assign a serif font
as the default sans-serif.

Hope it helps

Marguerite