Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed kernel changes to help upstream development
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:05:23PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

As part of one of the Linux kernel Summit discussions today, it was
brought up that after a kernel is released (for example 3.5), it's a bit
too late to be doing testing to see how well it is working out. The .0
release is usually a bit rough, and it takes until the .1 or .2 release
to get most major issues out of the way.

So, the kernel developers would like to get a wider range of testing,
and one thing proposed would be to have rolling distros switch their
kernel over a bit earlier to the new release than they had been doing.
Specifically, around the -rc5 point in time would be great. That way,
any reported regressions could be fixed sooner and get into the final .0
release for everyone to use.

Now this does place a bit of a larger burden on the users of those
distros to be diligent in reporting problems, and the distro engineers
to report the issues upstream as well, but it sounds like a reasonable
thing to try out.

So, for the next kernel release, I'm thinking of switching the kernel in
Tumbleweed over to 3.6 at the -rc5 timeframe. Does anyone strongly
object to this happening?

No objection but a hint from the RPM packaging side we can share from
our Samba packaging service. We provide alpha, beta, and RC version
there¹ too. And this causes trouble to RPM as 3.6.0-rc5 is always
larger than the final 3.6.0 from the alphanum comparison.

This is a limitation of RPM. Some might suggest to use the epoch
feature but even that would not help at the long run.²

Anyhow, we've found a dirty solution for the alpha, beta, RC suffix. We
tweak with the RPM version string. By this the RPM has 3.6.0 in the
resulting filename while the binaries identify themself as 3.6.0-rc5 at
startup with -V or in the log files. That's enough to identify a alpha,
beta, or RC relase.

As soon as the final 3.6.0 got published we update
network:/samba:/STABLE/ and ensure to use a release greater than the
last one we used with the last one used in the network:/samba:/TESTING/

We might only use an rpm unfriendly string (3.6.0rc5 compared to
3.6.0-rc5). If that's the case sorry for the noise.

Cheers,

Lars

¹ http://download.openSUSE.org/repositories/network:/samba:/TESTING/
² The limitations defined by the SUSE packaging rules are a different
topic.
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team + SUSE Labs