Re: [opensuse-factory] log error message
* Jack Schurman <schurman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-22-12 07:57]:
How can I stop this error I am receiving using tumbleweed? I am using an
external usb harddrive for backups and this error is recorded in my logs
every 5 minutes.

ata_id[8120]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/sdc': Invalid argument

Try disconnecting the drive for a short time and then reconnecting.

I have a similar condition (which will also fill my logs) with a usb flash
card reader on system boot. Luckily the access light is prominent and I
notice the problem. Disconnecting/reconnecting solves the problem. It
doesn't happen often enough for me to provide case information for a bug
report. Hopefully the repeatibility of your case does. Do file a bug
report, it can be updated with needed information after the fact.