Re: [opensuse-factory] Status: Beta2
On 25/06/12 17:52, Larry Stotler wrote:
On 6/20/12, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'll upload Beta2 any time soon (build451 basically) and after
that create and bootstrap openSUSE:12.2
Tested this(32bit) on an AthlonXP 1700+(1.46Ghz) with 1GB RAM, Radeon
9200, 100GB HD

When in the "System Probing" screen(can we come up with a better
term?), it hangs at 60%, "Search for Linux partitions", it hangs.

Alt-F4 shows it constantly givinh Buffer I/O errors on FD0. No Floppy
in the machine. BIOS showed it had a floppy installed.

After that, the install went as expected. However, approx 50 packages
did not install, so on initial startup, there was no GUI. Running
"startx" failed.

Starting the package manager from YaST brought up a dialog about the
failed packages, which where then installed. Running "init 3" & "init
5" brought up KDE4 login and logged into the desktop. Starting up the
desktop the first time was REALLY slow. Almost 30 seconds before I
could do anything, and then the welcome screen popped up.

Obviously, this is pretty low end hardware. KDE4 was very sluggish.
Firefox worked as ecpected. Java applets loaded & ran(I used the
Argonne National Laboratory speed test at ntd.anl.gov:7123).

Time was off by 4 hours(slow). I had selected NY Time zone & local
time & verified time during install. Had to change the time manually
to fix.

Dolphin detected 2 DIRECTV2PC servers upon startup but didn't do
anything when I click on either of them.

WIll test more later,

In other words, "Business as usual." O:-)

I downloaded the 86_64 DVD of Beta 2 Build #452 yesterday and installed it. I wouldn't have got anywhere if I hadn't been around openSUSE before and haven't been reading the pitfalls mentioned in Factory etc.

The main installation part was made difficult by green graphics covering the screen/menus but which could be wiped momentarily by moving the cursor over the area (like the Eraser in GIMP, say); however, only previous experience made it possible to work out what the text was under the briefly removed green blurb.

But the real crunch came when the initial part of the installation was finished and the system had to reboot to complete the installation. At this point the whole sheebang stopped doing anything - no messages, no action.... Only past experience suggested that I reboot and when I did the whole thing hung with a black screen. Once again past experience prompted to boot the thing using SAFE MODE which then allowed the installation to complete because I had graphics to look at.

(BTW, and I know that this has been asked before and the solution given, namely, to remove and then replace the Taskbar with a new one (but this does NOT work in Beta 2) but how does one get rid of the 2 little icons for Dolphin and Firefox in the Taskbar? The darn things keep coming back like a bad smell everytime one restarts the computer :-( .)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 and kernel 3.4.3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor