  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:54:28 +0200
On Monday 18 June 2012 14:21:06 Sascha Peilicke wrote:
On 06/18/2012 12:07 PM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 18.06.2012 12:06, Per Jessen wrote:
Why should resource planning and project management and "what we do"
be
mutually exclusive? It seems to me that this thread is exactly about
a call for more resource planning and project management such that we
have a higher probability of achieving what we aim for.

Resource planning sounds pretty cool to me. I guess a good first step
would be to have everyone who plans to work on factory in the next
year to sign up and block vacation days, so we can book him.

Stephan, there's no call for that sarcastic tone.

Why should resource planning and sarcasm be mutal exclusive? Do you want
to be booked or not?

Guys... This tone-roughness-increase-proportional-to-length-of-thread
(not exclusively but definitely a openSUSE trade-mark) thing is exactly
what I wrote about (way) earlier this thread, sadly without getting a
single reply so far...

It can be hard to not act sarcastic if you feel people keep making
uninformed comments. Patience runs out at that point. To improve the culture
on our list, we need to work on both sides, I guess. Increase patience and
increase informedness.

Of course, we could create a questionnaire which would be answered before
people could get access to this list:

- can you tell volunteers what to do?
- does 'project management' make much sense in a FOSS community?
- are my ideas unique and does everyone need to know about them?
- do I have to 'win' discussions by repeating my point without listening?
- will others do what I say if I just keep nagging them?

If any of the questions is answered with 'Yes', put them on the
alltalk@xxxxxxxxxxxx list instead.

It would lower the amount of frustration and noise on this list and in that
way increase the quality of openSUSE considerably.

A more constructive idea might be to have a wiki page with 'how openSUSE
works' with a FAQ on the things that come up again and again - including
answering the questions I gave above. At least we'd be able to reply to
people just pointing to that page instead of being sarcastic.

I'd be happy to draft something up.