  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:36:06 +0200
Nelson Marques wrote:

I assume the same is true when it comes to internet speed and
bandwidth caps and usb thumb drives. Saying "8G drives are $6 is
actually kind of gross. That means, all those 4G drives you already
own are what? Throw them away even though you paid $30 for them? Just
gross.

You will never be able to provide a out-of-the-box solution for every
single consumer of openSUSE; You go for the majority... and so far in
countries like India, Brazil and others, optical media still plays a
major role where you don't have internet access. So nuking away 9%
storage that is available on optical media (either you use it or not)
just sounds a bit harsh for the sole purpose of allowing 4Gb sticks...

Well, I also payed almost 500€'s for my graphics adapter a few years
ago... Now it's pretty much obsolete... Yeah, it's gross to throw it
away now and pay 500€'s more for a new one which can rule on CRISIS ;)
But sure... that's how it works... things get obsoleted. Deal with it.

Yeah, of course we have to, but we also have to accept that just because
something appears to be obsolete in some places, it isn't in others.
Somebody today even mentioned booting from floppies, which is a
technology that is obsolete to most people, yet the harddisk
manufacturers remain glued to them for diagnostics and the motherobard
ditto for BIOS upgrades. As far as I'm concerned, xDSL is way obsolete
coz' we've got FTTH, but I know very well that xDSL has yet to be
deployed in many other parts of the world. Same thing applies to
computer hardware, although less so.
Just the other day, I sold off a recently decommissioned, ancient IBM
Netfinity with quad Xeons to a young dude who was very happy to pay me
Sfr2, including the 10-drive storage array I offered him for free. We
have to take a wider perspective.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.2°C)