On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-06/msg00618.html :

a gcc update would be useful, this probably has to happen very early in
the cycle (right after the release).

It looks like this proposal has potential, but I wonder and ponder.

I went on to compare the development schedules of a few groups. Because
I could not find the freeze dates for older openSUSE anymore (why remove
them from the detailed view?), I took RC1 as freeze point.

#Group          Ratio   days  between merge-phase and frozen-phase
#
openSUSE_11.4   7.50    210/28(RC1)
openSUSE_12.1   8.62    224/26(RC1)
openSUSE_12.2   7.78    210/27(RC1) (prerel-freeze: 6.18, 204/33)
Debian_4        4.73    553/117
Debian_5        2.34    476/203
Debian_6        2.91    536/184
Fedora_17       1.22    111/91
Fedora_16       1.67    105/63
Fedora_15       1.06    104/98

I don't have numbers, but I think Debian has the most packages in a
release, followed by Fedora, followed by openSUSE. The number of
packages matters for estimating effort and hardware resources
required.

And now for the winners:

Linux_3.4       0.24    12/50
Linux_3.3       0.25    15/59
Linux_3.2       0.24    14/58

I don't think it's fair to compare the kernel with an entire distro!

My interpretation: there is not enough testing going on in openSUSE.

Software engineering metrics are a well-established area of study and
have been since the days of Fred Brooks' "Mythical Man-Month". These
are wheels that need not be re-invented. I think the first order of
business in the post-12.2 planning is to come up with goals for the
next release relative to the other community distros and the user
communities.

1. Given that a *new* user has decided to try Linux, how does he/she
decide which distro?
2. What makes a long-standing Linux user switch distros?
3. How does openSUSE propose to attract new users faster than Fedora,
Ubuntu and Mint?

I can answer 2 for my own somewhat unusual use case - "scientific
workstations". The two biggest criteria for me are availability of
packages and hassle-free system administration. I went from Red
Hat/Fedora to Debian because of the bigger package count at Debian. I
went from Debian to Gentoo because the Debian folks were pushing the
useless GNU Java over Sun's and a lot of the software I wanted to run
collapsed in a ragged heap with GNU Java. And I left Gentoo for
openSUSE mostly to get away from the time-consuming re-compiles.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.