Re: [opensuse-factory] HALLO - ANYBODY OUT THERE? [WAS About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)]
On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 19:26 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

The use of USB sticks is really not something to be seriously
considered. Not everyone has the ability to use this medium.

percentage?

However, there is little difference cost-wise or effort-wise between
having to burn a CD and a blank single-layer DVD.

I am NOT talking here about releasing 4.3GB of data to fill a SL DVD but
saying that if the volume of data to be downloaded by users is only
marginally greater then what would fit on a standard CD then there
wouldn't be a problem.

In fact there were a few LIVEs "CD"s recently which I had to burn to a DVD.

Downloading ~800MB to be burnt onto a DVD is acceptable - but not
downloading 4.3GB.

Discussion was more about 1GB instead of 700 or 800MB...

Allthough i'm in favour of live-images of 1GB there is one risk:
With repair or netboot images the incentive to keep the image small is
obvious. Just like cd 700MB limitation of a cdrom.

When that limitation is removed, there might be a tendency that for 12.2
the live image is 800MB, the next 1GB, next one 1.5GB.
If not careful we end up with a live-blu-ray, live-data-centre or a
live-cloud ;-))

hans