  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:23:33 -0700
So I would suggest we move to 1GB live images. We make sure the USB image
also works from DVD and point people to plop.at in case they can't boot from
USB without a CD. Last but not least, for those really older computers, we
offer a LXDE or XFCE liveCD. Then we cater for everyone.

I love this idea! I think this sounds like the best option yet.

--
Drew Adams
Member & Ambassador,

If we're moving to 1 GB LiveUSB images, can we also cut the "DVD"
image down so it will fit on a 4 GB stick? Get rid of infrequently
used things and just provide all the desktops and desktop apps. If
someone wants a server there are dozens of ways to get there.

I'm against spending the extra effort on LXDE and XFCE "respins". I
honestly don't understand why Fedora and Ubuntu do them. It's so easy
to get an LXDE or XFCE desktop from the NET install, the "DVD" or from
SUSE Studio. If you really want a minimalist install media, make an
IceWM / Minimal X LiveCD without even a browser or media player. I
just built one in SUSE Studio and it's 220 MB - it should fit on a
MiniCD and could replace the Network install CD, I think.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.