  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:32:49 +0200
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Let's try to answer this question: who needs a LiveCD?

And I mean: who has NO alternative and would have to use another Linux if we
would move to 1GB images?

The answer:
Someone who owns a computer capable of running GNOME or KDE (+512 MB
ram, +2GB for comfort, decent CPU, HD, 3D video etc) *without* USB ports and
a CD reader capable of also reading DVD's AND no internet at home.

Anyone else would able to make due with a 1GB image - either put it on a
DVD, use http://plop.at with an USB stick, use the stick directly or use the
net install.

???

I honestly think we're trying to cater to a group of people which doesn't
exist...

What I am saying is that IF you have a computer with no USB ports and no DVD
capability, I bet you'd be way better off with a LXDE or XFCE liveCD!

So I would suggest we move to 1GB live images. We make sure the USB image
also works from DVD and point people to plop.at in case they can't boot from
USB without a CD. Last but not least, for those really older computers, we
offer a LXDE or XFCE liveCD. Then we cater for everyone.

I really agree with this point here. I would much prefer a slightly
larger ISO that is more useful from an end user standpoint than an
artificially limited ISO to meet an ancient (by IT standards) storage
device requirement.

The reasoning makes sense... lets just do it.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.1 x86_64, KDE 4.8.2