[opensuse-factory] Install from NET gone bad
Hi list,
I installed 12.2-ß1 from NET dd'ed to a USB stick. The installation GUI has a
problem with selecting some packages (grepmail, ruby-devel, etc.) causing it to
drop
into ncurses and starting from the beginning. It stays in ncurses until package
selection where it goes back into GUI mode until some selection causes it to
again
drop to ncurses and back at the beginning. This would be a show stopper for new
users.

Another problem is configuring the boot method. I chose legacy grub, unchecked
the
separate /home as I use a separate /common data partition softlinked to /home.
also clicked on "other (lower right corner)" and selected merging with existing
configuration. That did not find my OS 12.1 installation. During partition
selection I left /boot unformatted to maintain my other installs. Boot method
was
set for boot from /boot, not MBR.

After encountering some problems during boot, when I finally got into the user
x-windows session and went to check what /boot/grub/menu.lst had in it and
found the
entire /boot folder empty. After rebooting into OS 12.1 and checking /boot, it
still is empty. I also rebooted into a live PartedMagic and it also showed
/boot to
be empty.

/var/log/boot.msg shows sda3 (/boot) being loaded succesfully. Attached are
pertinent logs.

Tom

--
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world
remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

Tom Taylor - retired penguin
AMD Phenom II x4 955 -- 4GB RAM -- 2x1.5TB sata2
openSUSE 12.1x86_64 openSUSE 12.2x86_64
KDE 4.7.2, FF 7.0 KDE 4.8.4, FF 12.2
claws-mail 3.8.0
registered linux user 263467