Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:03:55 -0700
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Christian Wansart
<christian.wansart@xxxxxxx> wrote:
1. 17 now has the "Try or Install" decision after doing a lot of
"undercover" work just like Ubuntu, but they don't touch the disk
until they know everything they need.
That's indeed a good point. +1

2. Both Fedora and Ubuntu offer to set up NTP; openSUSE doesn't, for
some reason.
openSUSE does offer NTP during installation, see :
http://en.opensuse.org/images/3/3f/11.4_LIVE_installer-ntp.png

It's somewhat buried as I recall ... and of course it requires a
network connection or you have to do it over when the machine comes
up. Ubuntu now explicitly encourages network connectivity during
install but will work without it. Fedora sometimes asks for it and
sometimes doesn't; I haven't figured out how it decides. If you boot
it into the desktop and enable a network with NetworkManager, Fedora
will remember the settings onto your installed system, which I think
is nifty. ;-)

I really think the strategy after 12.2 should be:

1. Take a leaf out of Ubuntu's book. Provide the absolutely best KDE
700MB LiveCD / Installer we can and feature the heck out of it! Add an
app store like Ubuntu has, even!

2. If you have network during an install, measure its speed and offer
the user alternate desktops with a warning on how long the install
will take. Offer the non-OSS components at install time like Ubuntu
does.

3. Provide the rest of the install media via our "other app store",
SUSE Studio Gallery.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.