Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 14:14:20 -0700
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 16:39 -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

 Personally I think both Fedora and openSUSE have way too many
options. Simplicity is a big "selling" point!

That is entirely other issue...
afaicr this was discussed in another thread some time ago.

But perhaps they might reconsider the amount of experience of the user
who installs suse for the first time.

Perhaps the default installer should only ask two questions:
1) Are you an experienced Linux user [default off]
2) Are you sure to modify the content of the hard disk [default off]

If you blindly hit the enter key, nothing will happens (just be be safe)

If toggle just the second one, yast should perform installations without
any further questions. And some time later you'll have a default
desktop.

if you toggle the both, you should get the normal installer, where you
have the option to determine to create the system as you think fit,
without the need to remove afterwards things you don't like.
[that is something i like about SuSE and really hate at some other
distro's]

Hans

Ubuntu has led the ease-of-use parade and Fedora has followed.
openSUSE is lagging and Debian and Gentoo are sitting on the sidewalk
jeering at the horses. ;-)

If I were designing the next round of openSUSE, I'd make only the KDE
LiveCD and full install DVD as official branded media and migrate
everything else to SUSE Studio Gallery appliances one could clone,
build and download. I wouldn't even store built appliances - let the
user use his/her own disk space allocation for that.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.