  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:43:31 +0200

On 2012-06-07 12:07, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2012, 07:57:10 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
So I wonder: should we screw the medium CD and go officially for 1GB
sticks as our medium? (or require DVD medium for non-usb).

IMHO there is no need for a Live CD to be available for everybody, the
only thing that needs consideration is whether an "install CD" is
still needed.

There would still be the netinstall variant, would it not? So people
can still download that and burn it to a CD to start from there.

Many people using the CD do so because of limited bandwidth. Those people
could never use a network install.

They will have to download the data at some point, be it a CD image or net
install. If they download the image somewhere else they might as well use a
DVD or USB stick to transfer the files and do not need a CD either.

So my point still stands, only those who combine all three properties of
neither having a DVD drive, nor an USB port and on top of that a limited
bandwidth will "suffer". The rest can either use a USB stick/DVD or the
network to transfer data.

Sven