Re: Re: Re: [opensuse-factory] Getting Plymouth to work in Beta 1
Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 14:38 +0200, Raymond Wooninck a écrit :
On Monday, June 04, 2012, Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday, June 04, 2012, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
But to be a smooth transition between splash and display manager, there
is some adaptation needed on the display manager side (I know KDM needs
a patch, I don't know if we have it already or not), so X server is
started in a mode which doesn't reset the screen to black and KDM will
notify plymouth to quit and handle the nice fade..

I just rebooted with a changed setup and with GDM as the display manager.
What
I see is that the screen turns black, but at that moment I also have a mouse
cursor already active., so GDM must be active and busy loading the graphics
(background, menu, etc). I am not sure how we can optimize this further
unless we find a way to make GDM switch off plymouth only when it has
finished

This is the way it is supposed to work: if gdm is handling plymouth
shutdown, it should not be done at systemd / initscript level. I
guess /etc/init.d/xdm should be modified to terminate plymouth when not
starting gdm / kdm (if we have the needed support in kdm) but only when
starting xdm (or maybe lxdm, not 100% sure about its status).

I also tried the splash=silent and this one indeed works. Don't know what
happened in the past, but it seems to be initializing plymouth correctly and
will adjust the plymouth packages to remove the part where I change the
splash= lines.

Excellent.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx>