Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 3.3.0-16.1 kernel does not allow install of nvidia driver
On 23/03/12 19:19, Christian Bierwirth wrote:

Am 22.03.2012 01:21, schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
12.1 tumbleweed x86_64
kernel-desktop-3.3.0-16.1.x86_64

trying to update nvidia driver with new kernel fails

sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20.run -a -K

fails, log below

: ~ # rpm -qa *kernel* |grep 3.3
kernel-desktop-3.3.0-16.1.x86_64
kernel-devel-3.3.0-16.1.noarch
kernel-source-3.3.0-16.1.noarch
kernel-desktop-devel-3.3.0-16.1.x86_64

nvidia-installer.log:
http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~pat/nvidia-installer.log

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/tumbleweed/473658-re-kernel-3-3-nvidia-driver-fix.html

solved it for me

HTH
Thank you, Chris, for posting the above URL.

After DAYS of trying to apply the nVidia driver to my MS #2 installation I finally succeeded.

But, I had to re-install the BASIC - without ANY updates - Milestone #2 (32-bit) before I could do it and I had to do it with the executable script file given in that URL.

The latest nVidia driver - 295.33 - does NOT install as it did in the past even though it contains the patch for the 3.3 kernel. One first needs to download the kernel-source and install 'make' and 'gcc' before running that script.

BC

--
Wife sent me to the doctor to get the pills for me to have an erection.
When I came back I gave her the packet of slimming pills.