On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 03:52:02PM -0500, Brian K. White wrote:
[ 8< ]
It's not in your own interests to keep rebuffing user complaints.

Right.

At the very very least, you could say "We apologize, we know it
sucks right now. We need help making a major transition. We are
sorry for making these changes which broke all your stuff. We should
not have released this yet." That at least will gain you some
percentage of sympathy. And at least some percentage of users will
decide to give you their time and effort to submit proper bugzilla
entries with better documented observations.

Cristian expressed his point of view. In the past he had himself been
very, very critical towards systemd too.

Unfortunately systemd testing while the development of openSUSE 12.1
didn't got the same attention as it got with or after the release.

As soon as we got aware which amount of trouble it caused we took action
and filed http://en.openSUSE.org/openSUSE:Most_annoying_bugs_12.1
section 'Problem: System is switched from sysvinit to systemd during
upgrade.'. This at least offers and easy way to switch back to
sysvinit.

Unfortunately after the release there is no real alternative to handle
this better. The only alternative which comes to my mind is to publish
an update which forces all users back. I'm sure this action would at
the end cause additional and even more confusion.

Therefore the main goal at the moment is to get the outstanding updated
published.

@Frederic: Am I get it right and the upcoming update is this one?
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=openSUSE%3AMaintenance%3A126

To let us all focus on the enhancement I'm telling all people bitten by
the beast I'm very, very sorry and hope we'll all will make a better job
with openSUSE 12.2.

Thanks

Lars
--