  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:18:47 +0100
On Saturday, December 17, 2011 18:12:26 Per Jessen wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Hi:

Supporting 2 different init systems comes with a large increase of
possible usecases and scenarios that are very difficult to support
correctly, specially in the long term.

This RFC proposes steps to permanently phase out sysvinit from
future openSUSE releases.

I'm not sure where this belongs, but I think we should also consider
what to do about third party products or packages that are unlikely to
upgrade to systemd or where an upgrade is not expected before our
first release without sysvinit support.

We should indeed keep the support for the LSB init scripts for third
party packages. Any I suggest that the proposal adds that as
clarification.

I know this is difficult, but people who are using third party
products could list them. Examples I have myself - the HP Proliant
Support Pack and 3ware init-scripts.

As long as they use LSB init scripts - and I guess they do - they should
continue to work...

Andreas