  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:34:11 +0100
On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Bernhard M. Wiedemann
<bernhardout@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
As I understood it, native unit files are not needed for the goal
of fully switching to systemd and dropping sysvinit - so this
step (and all other steps about /etc/init.d/ replacement) should
be optional.

no, there should not be optional, as does solve the problem of
supporting two different ways to do things.

openSUSE is not python (which is claimed to have exactly one way to do
things) - but more like perl with TIMTOWTDI(=There Is More Than One
Way To Do It) philosophy. We have 4 Desktop-Environments, countless
windows-managers, email programs and web-browsers...
So I wonder why having two init systems (that are even mostly
compatible) for some years would be a problem.
There will be extra packages with /etc/init.d/ scripts for a long
time, so we can not just abandon the sysv-compat anyway - openSUSE is
more than the core we ship and we need to consider this in our decisions.

There are teams who either volunteer or are payed to support different
parts of openSUSE, such as the different desktop environments. If a
group of systemv enthusiasts wants to step up and provide long-term
support for systemv, as is currently being done e.g. with KDE3, I
suspect this would be possible. The problem is trying to make the
current team do two jobs when they already have enough trouble just
doing one.

What you are suggesting is more like demanding the KDE team support
KDE 4 and KDE 3 long-term. That is not feasible in practice, since it
would require they essentially support two entirely independent
desktop environments. That is why support for KDE 3 has fallen to a
different team that actually still has an interest in it. So the
people who have an interest in systemv should step up and offer to
support it long-term. That doesn't actually affect this proposal,
though, since the main team will still need to transition to systemd
just like the main KDE team transitioned to KDE 4 and the main Gnome
team transitioned to Gnome 3.

-Todd