Re: [opensuse-factory] KPackageKit's purpose

Am 03.11.2011 18:34, schrieb Carlos E. R.:

On Wednesday, 2011-11-02 at 14:39 +0100, Tim Edwards wrote:

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:30 PM, "Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

On Tuesday, 2011-11-01 at 17:08 +0100, Tim Edwards wrote:

BTW I found out first hand a few days ago why we need a proper updater on the
desktop:

No, what you found is why you should not do automated updates,
and why you should have backups. :-)

No, I found why we need a proper updater. Manual updates don't work
simply because users don't remember to run them regularly. That's why
all desktop OS's have automatic updates, and it's time we had an
automatic update program that works properly.

You will never have that. The updater may work properly, but the update itself can be bad, or some action needed aftewards, like a reboot. And the reboot can fail because the grub entry is faulty. I Have seen that more than once.

I NEVER trust updates, even less automatically.
By that logic you may as well not install software using packages at all. Of course sometimes we have packaging bugs, but it's not a reason not to have something that works for most people to keep their systems up to date.

BTW I do have backups of my stuff that's on /home, but there's no point
in backing up the stuff in / because it's faster to just re-install.

No, a dd is even faster.
I don't want to manage dd backup images at 12GB apiece on my netbook, I'll stick to incremental backups of /home and a USB stick to re-install :)

Tim

Tim