Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 07:11:50PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 18:54 +0200, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:

This is a bug of systemd and a violation of the FSH standard.
For server systems a nogo.

Yeah, it's a violation of the rules of the stone age. Many of them just
don't make sense anymore. We need to pick the nice parts of UNIX, and
leave the silly things behind us to be able to survive. And the split
of / and /usr very high on the list of things we like to get rid of.

There is more than / and /usr, also /tmp, /var, and /boot is
IMHO a very important point. Why do you think, most seasoned
system adminstrators will mostly use different partitions for
/ and /usr, /tmp, and /var. Particular /tmp and /var will
be separate partitions.

Anyway, FHS documents current behavior, it can not be violated. If the
current behavior changes, FHS needs to change, and people actually
working on that.

FHS is very useful to argument against something, we all use it that way
from time to time, and if it is in our way we just ignore it, just like
we did with /run. It's very convenient, everybody wins. :)

OK let's disregard the most important clientele by ignoring
the most useful experience by declaring those experience as
stone aged.

My hope was to have with systemd a real replacment for SysV able
to serve all needs for all customer out there, that is not only
openSUSE users on netbook and other mobile devices but also needs
of our business customer on their big irons.

Werner