Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:42:31 +0200
On Friday 17 June 2011 19:32:09 Kay Sievers wrote:
Remember, FHS documents behavior, does not set rules to follow.

Where did you hear this? The FHS - and the LSB in general - was invented to
give us a set of standards that third-party developers to rely on to always
work, so they didn't have to live in constant fear of people upending
everything to break their software.

This was once considered important in linux. I personally believe it was what
made us number 1 on server systems.

The next move of the LSB and FHS was meant to be a standardisation of the
desktop, so we could move ahead there and eventually become number 1 there as
well. I think this was partly the idea of freedesktop.org and the work around
standards such as XDG

But I guess that is all stone age.

Anders