Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Robert Schweikert <rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:26:49 -0400

On 06/17/2011 01:11 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 18:54 +0200, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 05:09:17PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 16:37 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
* Kay Sievers<kay.sievers@xxxxxxx> [2011-06-17 12:13]:
From the side of the enterprise people: /usr mountable ro.
Please note that we have customers which are using exactly
this feature.

Sure, they will just need an initramfs that can do that, if they want it
to work in the future.

Actually, the long-term goal is to merge the useless split of / and /usr
back to /usr and be able to mount /usr ro on every system. It's the same
model as Android is doing with /system.

On servers I always have /, /usr, (/usr)/home, /var, and /tmp on
separate filesystems in order to prevent accidentally filling up
/. I know others are doing the same and I think that is a
perfectly legitimate use case.

Sure, you only need to be able to mount /usr from initramfs. Init will
not care where it came from. But it will no longer be supported to start
init with an empty /usr.

Actually, /bin, /sbin, /lib, /lib64, ... should just be symliks to /usr,
which will be mounted by initramfs, and likely be read-only by default
in the future.

This is a bug of systemd and a violation of the FSH standard.
For server systems a nogo.

Yeah, it's a violation of the rules of the stone age. Many of them just
don't make sense anymore. We need to pick the nice parts of UNIX, and
leave the silly things behind us to be able to survive. And the split
of / and /usr very high on the list of things we like to get rid of.

Anyway, FHS documents current behavior, it can not be violated. If the
current behavior changes, FHS needs to change, and people actually
working on that.

Just double checked on that. There is no awareness at the FHS level that systemd implementation is pushing for the removal of /bin, /sbin, /lib, /lib64 and having everything pushed into /usr.

Better speak up soon at fhs-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx as the next release of FHS is in the works right now.

Robert

Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx