Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
On Thursday, June 16, 2011 03:01:28 PM Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:46:47 Kay Sievers wrote:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 14:23 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:04:47 Will Stephenson wrote:
3) What are the big gaps that it doesn't currently do, compared to
sysvinit? I hear of things like encrypted LVM volumes not working
being dismissed as unimportant.
I'll start you off with "password agents to do interactive things
during service startup, eg openvpn passwords" (bnc675406):
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents

read-only /usr mounts I believe were dismissed as unimportant as well

They can't work reliably, and never worked reliably for any non-trivial
setup. They did not in the recent past, and never will in the future.
Anybody who still claims that hasn't look into any of the
non-interesting details of the current reality.

What fails? Can you give some relevant examples?

We've moved a lot of binaries and libs from /usr/ to / to support it - but
there are for example udev scripts that access /usr etc.

As far as I'm aware, anything that runs before boot.localfs should only use
things in /bin /sbin or /lib and anything that runs that early that
references /usr is just broken

that's the policy in SUSE - but nobody upstream takes care of it, so it's an
endless figuring out what fails and fixing it.

Can you point to any bug reports of things breaking when /usr is mounted
read- only?

It wasn't /usr read-only AFAIK - it's separate /usr.

We just require that /usr is mounted from initramfs, when systemd is
started, nobody cares where /usr comes from or if its writable.

initramfs? Are you suggesting sticking that thing into the initrd?

He says that /usr needs to be mountable from the initial ram disk - and that's
the only requirement we have,

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE
aj@{novell.com,suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi