Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:21:29 +0200
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 15:01 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:46:47 Kay Sievers wrote:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 14:23 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:04:47 Will Stephenson wrote:
3) What are the big gaps that it doesn't currently do, compared to
sysvinit? I hear of things like encrypted LVM volumes not working
being dismissed as unimportant.
I'll start you off with "password agents to do interactive things
during service startup, eg openvpn passwords" (bnc675406):
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents

read-only /usr mounts I believe were dismissed as unimportant as well

They can't work reliably, and never worked reliably for any non-trivial
setup. They did not in the recent past, and never will in the future.
Anybody who still claims that hasn't look into any of the
non-interesting details of the current reality.

What fails? Can you give some relevant examples?

Everything that uses the udev database which was populated with /usr
around but needed tools from there to do so.

Network setups are known to fail. 3G modems get the wrong drivers
attached. Sound does not work. All the stuff that has deeper
dependencies on hardware/device setups.

Simple web/file servers are usually not a problem, but it's really hard
to debug what went wrong if things go wrong, and the dependency on
proper early boot get larger and larger.

Everything that uses D-Bus, it's entire config is in /usr. Systemd, and
a growing number of tools, wants D-Bus properly started up very early.

As far as I'm aware, anything that runs before boot.localfs should only use
things in /bin /sbin or /lib and anything that runs that early that