Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:01:28 +0200
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:46:47 Kay Sievers wrote:
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 14:23 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:04:47 Will Stephenson wrote:
3) What are the big gaps that it doesn't currently do, compared to
sysvinit? I hear of things like encrypted LVM volumes not working
being dismissed as unimportant.
I'll start you off with "password agents to do interactive things
during service startup, eg openvpn passwords" (bnc675406):
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents

read-only /usr mounts I believe were dismissed as unimportant as well

They can't work reliably, and never worked reliably for any non-trivial
setup. They did not in the recent past, and never will in the future.
Anybody who still claims that hasn't look into any of the
non-interesting details of the current reality.

What fails? Can you give some relevant examples?

As far as I'm aware, anything that runs before boot.localfs should only use
things in /bin /sbin or /lib and anything that runs that early that references
/usr is just broken

Can you point to any bug reports of things breaking when /usr is mounted read-
only?

We just require that /usr is mounted from initramfs, when systemd is
started, nobody cares where /usr comes from or if its writable.

initramfs? Are you suggesting sticking that thing into the initrd?

Anders