Re: [opensuse-factory] deprecated /etc/sysconfig/sysctl loose functionality
On 06/06/2011 01:36 PM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On May 30th I get an update which deprecate /etc/sysconfig/sysctl

It migrate a part of configuration to /etc/sysctl.conf and create a
/etc/sysctl.d ( but empty )

But it seems some of the configuration are not migrated or respected

I've that

## Type: list(yes,no,)
## Default: no
#
# Runtime-configurable parameter: use temporary IPv6 addresses
# instead of using the EUI-64 interface identifer
#
IPV6_PRIVACY="no"

Why because I really don't care about privacy. I don't need to hide me, and
hate too much those temporary things.
My taste, ok :-)

but in sysctl.conf

### converted from /etc/sysconfig/sysctl at Tue, 31 May 2011 06:16:19 +0200
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
kernel.sysrq = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
[...]
Can someone (Ludwig ?) can confirm that during migration the upgrade forget
to manage the privacy configuration ?
If it's reproducible, I'll open a bug for that.

Well, that's the typical problem with sysconfig. Distro default
values are set in the config file explictly instead of using a
fallback if empty. So a program can't know whether the setting is
the distro default or whether the admin set or left it that way
intentionally. There also was no setting for "don't care" before. So
when the conversion script sees "no" it just assumes the setting is
at it's default value and doesn't disable IPv6 privacy explictly.

Just add net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr = 0 manually to
/etc/sysctl.conf.

cu
Ludwig

Hi Ludwig, I understand the trouble of upgrade/migrate things
Perharps you could just a comment in
/etc/sysconfig/sysctl.rpmsave & /etc/sysctl.conf
### converted from /etc/sysconfig/sysctl at Tue, 31 May 2011 06:16:19 +0200
### SuSE default come now from /lib/sysctl.d/

So any user looking about it's default distro configuration know that it's
stored in /lib/sysctl.d

Sound that good for you ?

--

Bruno Friedmann