Re: [opensuse-factory] Cronie as default cron in Factory
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 04:12:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2010-02-12 at 09:21 -0000, Michal Seben wrote:

Hi all!

Next week I will move cronie[1] package to Factory, so it will replace old
cron. If someone is against this step, please just write what's wrong.

As I announced earlier, you could find Cronie in Base:System repo [2]
there is also prepared wiki about known changes after switch to cronie [3]

I found a mis-feature of cronie:

If a user has a crontab entry that starts with a dash (meaning: don't log) the entire line is skipped. Existing crontab entries like that fail silently.

If a user tries to create a crontab with a line like that, he gets an error:

File /tmp/crontab.hA3Nld saved
crontab: installing new crontab
"/tmp/crontab.hA3Nld":5: bad option
errors in crontab file, can't install.

that doesn't explain anything. However, there is an entry in the syslog that does:

... crontab 4032 - - (CRON) ERROR (Only privileged user can disable logging)

This is hardcoded, it is not possible to disable; see:

https://fedorahosted.org/cronie/browser/src/entry.c, *load_entry().

The possible workaround is to add a file to /etc/cron.d/, where entries have a syntax that specifies under which user the entry runs, and allows the dash.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)