Re: [opensuse-factory] Systemd by default
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 12:45:12 +0200
Am 31.05.2011 01:42 schrieb Kay Sievers:
On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 19:06 -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

On 05/30/2011 06:29 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:

All that is the kernel's job with the on-demand governor. The powersave
governor usually does consume more energy, and is pretty useless today.

FWIW, the cpufreq script loads powernow-k8 on my system. Regardless of
your thoughts on power saving, it definitely steps down my processor
(Phenom II X6) and as a result my fan is much, much quieter.

Oh, sure. We need the cpufreq _drivers_ loaded, otherwise stuff behaves
terrible, no doubt about that. I mentioned the different _governors_.

What I meant is that the 'powersave' vs. 'ondemand' governor usually
does not save any power, it behaves worse. The kernel does its job
right, and does not need userspace fiddling with governors.

How am I supposed to keep my fan quiet under full sustained CPU load
without the powersave governor?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--