Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL and related
On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Ilya Chernykh <anixxsus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
KDE3 is just another name for the same project. The Trinity devs explained
that they are afraid of being sued for trade mark violation by the KDE e.V
for using the KDE brand.

Here's another reason to stay the course and wait to see what happens
with Trinity:

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/

If you go to their website, it says they are down and will be until at
least the 7th.

That's a fairly long time to be down.

Also, from what I have seen of Trinity, they are more into supporting
Debian/uBuntu and Slackware based systems.

As for factory, I'm not sure that I see the need to move KDE3 back
into it. Especially with the hal-dependencies. For now it should
probably be in it's current repo and if there is more support for it
later, then I would be for it. I can't use 11.4/KDE3 on my desktop
because of the lack of a SaX2 type config tool with my weird monitor
setup. Otherwise, I would already be using it.

Ilya - Do we have a list of packages that require HAL? And, can HAL
still be used beside/conucrrent with the replacement?(udev I
believe?). If so, and if KDE3 is the only thing that needs HAL, I
wouldn't say moving it back into Factory is the right idea until/if
KDE3 can be moved over to udev.

Just my 2 cents.