Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL and related
Am 01.06.2011 22:54, schrieb Ilya Chernykh:
On Wednesday 01 June 2011 18:54:08 Greg Freemyer wrote:

> fyi: if adding kde3 back into factory does not cause something else to
> be kicked out, I think it should be. I think the community
> packager(s) has proven he is willing to support it to some extent.
I think the justification behind removing KDE3 was that if it is removed, KDE4
will become better. I opened a feature request in openFATE to restore KDE3
but most people voted against with most comments were such that if KDE3
restored, bugs in KDE4 will not be fixed. So I think there is no hope to
expect KDE3 to be ever restored in openSUSE.

Quite frankly, the reason is just brain-damaged. Do you rally get just votes against it? Seems like some people shouldn´t be drunk and use their computer at the same time.

No, seriously, this argument was right in the beginning of the KDE4-era, between 4.0 and 4.2 where KDE4 was still just for developers and KDE 3.5 for users. Sometimes, the step to KDE4 and *just* KDE4 was necessary, because, sometimes, you have to minimize the choice of desktops when you want to get your default-desktop recent and stable together.

From now, KDE3 would be a nice feature. But when it really come back to Factory, then please not with the installation media. Just put it into a special KDE3-repository and maintain it there. Maybe use Trinity because it´s more recent and up to date.

It would be a pitty when there wouldn´t be the chance to use a *stable as stone* desktop instead of the bleeding edge GNOME & KDE4 solutions.

By the way, for 11.4 exists a KDE3 live CD by the KDE team, why not support it officially or by community?

-kdl

--
Kim-Dennis Leyendecker
openSUSE Ambassador / openSUSE Wiki Team DE