Re: [opensuse-factory] Drop update-alternatives support from Sun Java and openjdk
On 03/16/2011 02:32 PM, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
Hi all,

I'm considering drop of update-alternatives [1] support from our Java
packages - mainly java-1_6_0-openjdk and java-1_6_0-sun (the gcj will
follow, but no one is really interesting on it).

I assume there is no real use case to have more than one implementation
installed these days and in fact this system produces confusions for users
wanting replace openjdk's plugin implementation by Sun's one (that's the
ony one reason for switch I'd to say).

The proposed change is to
* drop u-a --install calls from %post/%preun scripts
* install all files are now handled by alternatives system to /usr/bin
* add Conflicts: otherproviders(jre) and so to all subpackages

I'm also sure this change should be backported to released openSUSE
versions, but don't want to decide on my own. We can be more
conservative here, even if I don't think we need to be.

So my questions are

* Do you want drop u-a support from Java packages (sun, openjdk) from
Factory?
* Do you want backport such change to released openSUSE (anyone from
maintenance@o.o here?)

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/8/update-alternatives

Best regards
Michal Vyskocil

I don't know if we can, we just need a way to be sure to not have openjdk as
dependency in other package.
Especially for already released openSUSE. Otherwise it could become a mess on
end-user side.

Otherwise, yeap, I always get non working things with openjdk, and mainly most
of "business/proprio" software ask you to have a
sun/oracle jvm. But I'm not deep inside the java world.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador