Re: [opensuse-factory] boot partition does not unmount cleanly on openSUSE 11.4
Kostas Koudaras wrote:
2011/3/11 Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Roman Bysh wrote:

Hi all,

Ever since I've installed openSUSE 11.4, my /boot partition never
unmounts cleanly during a reboot.

I never had this problem with openSUSE 11.3.

Any thoughts?
I've stopped using a boot-parition long ago, but let's have a look at
your fstab.

Why is that?
People told me that separate the disk on boot-swap-home is the best
way to install a linux system.
Is there a better way?
I am really interesting in that...
Kostas

Hi Kostas,

some boot-loaders used to have a limitation that required /boot to be on the first 1024 cylinders of the disk. The way to guarantee that was to have a small /boot partition in the beginning of the drive.

swap space is usually kept on a separate partition/drive for speed. You could just as easily keep a swapfile on your root filesystem, but adding the filesystem layer only makes it (even if only marginally) slower.

/home is easier to manage during upgrades and updates if kept separately.

/Per