Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Boot time for servers do matter for systems where "uptime" is a measured
amount and it matters for service contracts.  So reducing the boot time
from 5 minutes to 1 minute means real money for these providers and is
something that everyone should be happy about.

As someone else noted, in those cases, you are generally using SLES or
RHES or something with a service contract. Not a community distro.

I reboot my desktop far more than my laptop due to kernel development,
so fast boot here is important.

For you I can see that. For the average(or slightly above like me), it's not.

Slow boot times that I see are usually caused by not having a network
cord on a system and having the dhcp finally fail out (which can be a
pain with 2 or 3 NICs).

That should not be a gating issue on 11.4 anymore for you.

Just updated a Dual Xeon 500Mhz/1GB RAM to 11.4 from 11.3 with 2
NICs(100Mb & Gb) and it still does it. I can get a desktop fast, but
have to wait on a VT. So, it's still there, as a DEFAULT config.